THREE LAST KNIGHTS by Chris Briffa Architects
Saturday. June 23, 1565. After more than a month of siege warfare, heroic chivalry and blind faith, Fort St Elmo fell into the hands of Turkish invaders.
The last three remaining knights – Colonel Mas, Captain de Miranda and Bailiff de Guaras – were butchered in the small Medieval chapel which stands at the fort’s entrance. Their dismembered bodies were tied to timber planks and set afloat towards Birgu, so that all could see that the Janissaries took no prisoners. In retaliation, Grandmaster de Valette decapitated 400 Turkish prisoners in St Angelo, and bombarded the Turkish forces using their heads as cannonballs.
Such, was the brutality at the peak of the Great Siege of Malta. These three last knights, defenders of Micronation St Elmo, together with thousands of other soldiers, lost their lives in this historic castle. All in the name of the preservation of faith and honour.
THREE LAST KNIGHTS pays homage to their story, and to this sacred spot where this installation/product will be first shown to the public of MDW2014.
Installation and product design by Chris Briffa Architects in collaboration with SAW Ltd.
Team: Chris Briffa, Sandro Valentino, Daphne Bugeja, Stephen Azzopardi.